Travel restrictions relaxed for Manx residents |


Chief Minister Howard Quayle and Health Minister David Ashford held a “routine update” briefing on Covid-19, the first since August 5.

Mr Quayle said that this time interval between briefings reflected the “generally stable situation both here and across the water”, and that there had been a “plateau” in the number of case on the island.

The Cabinet decided “after careful consideration” to ease travel restrictions for island residents, in what Quayle called “another small step.”

Residents aged 18 and over who are not fully vaccinated will no longer (as of the last flight and ferry on Wednesday September 15) need to apply for a Manx travel permit.

And residents who are fully vaccinated will no longer have to request a vaccination exemption.

Disembarkation forms will still be required for all travelers, including a health declaration form.

As of Thursday (September 16), the government is removing the testing and isolation requirement for any resident who is not fully vaccinated, provided they have only traveled to the common travel area during the last ten days before going to the island.

Scanners will also be installed at border posts to allow people to “self-serve” by scanning QR codes on their travel documents.

Finally, the port of Peel will partially reopen from Thursday, September 16.

However, there will be “limited windows for mooring” and a reservation will be required.

The government is also releasing a revised plan titled ‘Learning to Live in the World with Covid-19’, which outlines its decision-making over the next one to three months.

It is available at gov.im/covid19.

The Chief Minister then addressed the recent review of 1,400 death certificates that mentioned Covid-19 since the start of the pandemic, and how that added ten more deaths that are now classified as covid-related.

This brings the total of pandemic-related deaths to 48.

The ministers were also asked about what would happen to the vaccination of children aged 12 to 15.

The UK’s JCVI (whose advice the island is following) has decided not to recommend it, but UK medical chiefs may go ahead and vaccinate this age group anyway.

Health Minister David Ashford said he would find it unlikely that the UK government would go against the advice of the JCVI, but that if it did, the Manx government would have to seek advice from its own healthcare professionals. public health and “assess this balance of risks. ‘with regard to the vaccination of this age group.

Public health director Dr Henrietta Ewart said the government “would look at what comes out of the [UK] chief doctors in due course, and then the question will arise as to how we will assess this for our context on the island ”.

About Lillian Coomer

Check Also

Bournemouth beach covered in rubbish as 50,000 people descend on the area – with more to come this weekend

Rubbish was strewn across Bournemouth beach after a night of partying in the popular Dorset …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.